PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 08:09
Gooneybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenwe I don't disagree with you at all mate. However in this case I knew the captain and he was very safety conscious....honestly don't even want to guess what happened here but he was no cowboy.

Whilst agreeing about safety culture you do have to bend to the realities of the situation, it's not hiding. There's little by the way of professional ATC, almost no radar, even if you have TCAS2 there's many a/c flying not even transponder equipped piloted by non English speakers, little reliable weather information, working nav aids etc... Seriously it's hard to plan a VFR flight that comes even close to the standards of a Western country let alone IFR. For a VFR flight in Canada for example I'd be able to pull up TAF's Metar's etc for my destination to check the validity of my VFR flight. I'd be able to call up ATC for updates. To give you an example: Blantyre and Lilongwe in Malawi don't even have phone lines to call each other..I used to relay messages between them! And Malawi is pretty civilized compared to many of these countries.

The safety culture can always be improved and we should strive to learn the lessons rather than working out who to blame but in the end until some drastic changes take place on this continent it will always claim may more lives than countries with better infrastructure. IMHO.