PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st 'Outback' Flight
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 07:16
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe the number of people advising you to not use your GPS... just gob-smacks me.

Pilotette: IMO one of the golden rules for any pilot is 'use every bloody tool in your arsenal, all the time' including your whizz-bang G1000 glass-cockpit!!! Given that it is a glass cockpit equipment fit-out, you are probably not going to have a lot of choice in the matter, if you are going to have any avionics at all. That's what you have, you would be a fool to not use what you have to its fullest extent and your benefit. Follow through on your charts, plot your course, time yourself to your hearts content -but above all else, keep your head out of the cockpit!!! Lookout is everything. The avionics suite your aircraft is equipped with will be brilliant for situational awareness in unfamiliar terrain. You need to be fully conversant with every aspect of its normal and abnormal operation. Use it fully.

Don't let anyone denigrate your trip because you are going fully loaded with a suite of avionics damn near every man-jack in here would be envious of -I know I am! I've never even seen a G1000 fit-out, far less used one in anger! Have a helluva trip and use every advantage you have to your advantage