PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TIBA?
Thread: TIBA?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 02:47
whymefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staffing in wonderland

Once upon a time Mr Ford developed the production line, he used it to make lots of cars, then others adapted this for other things.
now 100 years (almost to this week) TFN is trying to use the same theory in ATC.
Thing is TFN doesn't get that the production line could close down for the night, maintenance, when multiple staff get sick, or when the power fails, or any number of other reasons. AND THEN can be started up again where everything stopped.
Sorry Greg, but you obviously don't get the fact that air traffic can't be arranged to always be in an orderly assembly line fashion, coz of: medical flts, emergencies, numerous met conditions, and of course every bl**dy airplane trying to land at the same airport at the same time.
Because of this there has been a workforce of x number of highly qualified professionals hired and trained up to ensure that all of these airplanes actually reach their required destination safely beit early/late/on time.

Maybe those in the AWB may like to review their attitude to their revenue earners (and I'm including the Firies and the techs in this), and improve the conditions they work under.

By this I mean: provide an environment that encourages people to want to work for ASA. IE pay them an internationally competitive wage, provide reasonable and sustainable hours of work and leave entitlements (not neverending requests for overtime, or deferment of rec or long service leave), provide ongoing training to ensure that they remain the best people doing their job, and where reasonable allow the people doing the job to have some input into the way things work (and input doesn't mean yep I heard you thanks for that Yawn bye now).

If ASA doesn't get this, then more will leave for greener (or other) pastures.

Remember, the international market place is changing rapidly and there is still considerable growth in air traffic. And Greg you weren't in the business in the early 80s, but Mr Ronald Reagan gifted the rest of the world masses of qualified ATCOs in the early 80s, their replacements are now also able to take early retirement, but with these guys leaving the game there is no longer a glut or ATCOs in the middle east or anywhere else.

Work it out, our value is only going to go up, and if you don't do something intelligent soon, life in Oz aviation is only going to get worse for the travelling public, and the poor bu**ers who remain in ASA trying to keep up the standards.

I got out recently, but good luck to those still hanging in there.

WMF