PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 21:40
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
manrow

So you are worried about illegal immigrants entering "our fair land"...sorry if I missed something but even now you need a passport to enter the UK through official channels so what difference does the ID card make? As far as us adopting American practices AFAIK even post 9/11 our US Cousins have yet to adopt ID cards.

Ultimately why should pilots, Cabin Crew and all other airside workers be the guinea pigs used to "prove" this scheme is workable? We have already ID's, we're already screened/vetted, and probably also carry passports every time we go to work. Unlike most of the UK population we are easily traced and easily tracked ( swipe in anyone). No doubt a refusal to carry these new cards we will lead to us being out of work....and in the meantime it's impact on the illegal immigration you seem to be worried about will be what precisely ??

If you really want to control illegal Immigration then I suggest you look at EU/UK Border Control, rather than giving me yet another bleedin piece of plastic I'll have to carry in my wallet. In the meantime you're obviously keen on the idea - why don't you volunteer for the trials - and persuade some of our MPs to do the same...