PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 21:35
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The interesting point of all of this is that, despite everybody being uncomfortable with the exisiting situation, statistics suggest that it actually works rather well as there have been few, if any, glider vs power collisions in IMC. A concern that I have is that changing the rules now could actually increase the possiblity of such an event occuring.
No, unless you mean the situation works rather well becasue the risk of two aircraft being in the same place at the same time is remote.

In fact so far as the present system is concerned as between power and gliders everyone is operating with their fingers crossed - kid your self not.

The vast majority of powered aircraft in IMC are not listening out on the glider frequency, gliders arent making radio calls on any of the powered frequencies, powered aircraft cant detect FLARM and gliders cant detect transponders. Other than a bit of help from AT who might be able to see gliders on primary the reality is the big sky keeps us safe nearly all the time.

In some respects I suspect it should be kpet a closely guarded secret. (If only because I have some symphathy for open FIR).

If one of the tabloids really got hold of the story and told the public that locos often had little prospect of avoiding a glider which could be legally operating in the same bit of sky without anyone knowing I suspect they would have a productive time. Once the regulator, the government and EASA had done with it that could well be the end of this particular "situation".