PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 21:12
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is becoming a bit heated at times which is a shame because I think valid points are being raised by all parties. I also recognise that there are sensiitivities being provoked - perhaps as pilots become more aware of the risks being taken by everybody, particularly in IMC conditions.

Fundementally I see the major issues as being that of risk recognition and mitigation. The positive outcome of this thread is the general increase in awareness of pilots of the risks involved when flying in uncontrolled airspace. The negative seems to be that many contributors are trying to 'mitigate' without recognizing or realizing each other's operating environments. The potential consequences of their suggestions which they describe as "common sense" may be 'sensible' based on their modus operandi and training but aren't actually sensible when the bigger picture of multiple airspace users are considered.

The interesting point of all of this is that, despite everybody being uncomfortable with the exisiting situation, statistics suggest that it actually works rather well as there have been few, if any, glider vs power collisions in IMC. A concern that I have is that changing the rules now could actually increase the possiblity of such an event occuring.

Finally, an observation to all those pilots who weren't aware that gliders operate in IMC without using LARS/RIS/RAS, the simple fact is that we do because we use a procedure that works (as borne out by statistics) of communicating on 130.4. If you didn't previously know this and have been flying in IMC whilst talking to a radar/flight information unit in the mistaken belief that there was a zero risk of collision then the only thing that has changed is your awareness. One day legislation (via EASA or CAA) may change this. Until then you may want to question why it was that you weren't aware of the situation.