PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 20:40
vickyv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap-skates

I would just like to clear up a few issues, I refer to a recent post regarding new bits hanging off the underside of the aircraft. The VOR/LOC antenna on the bomb aimers blister was located there because it is the only place on the centreline of the fuselage within a reasonable distance of the receiver. Any area aft of this location is either a door or a fuel tank. With reference to mounting an antenna in the radome, the radome on the vulcan is not hinged, very thick and the red slab radar (400 lbs of steel may have caused a reflective problem (heard of this when an antenna was move foreward 18 inches and it suffered reflection from the props). The new antenna is quite thin and black and anyone in the digital age could lose it quite easily. Any other new antenna locations were determined by the maximum allowable length for the coaxial cable. DME 20ft, Transponder 30.5 ft (using a very expensive low loss cable, obtained from MA as it had a small amount available from another project, saved TVOC buying 50 mtrs for 7,500 grand !) GPS and VHF 40 ft. The TVOC were very lucky to get away with so few additions. Had a suggested change of flight altitude been accepted then two TCAS antennas would have been added and these would have been stuck on flag poles to get the required coverage (Maybe AJKE and Capt G will not write any more letters).
The current state of the aircraft is unknown, the only serviceable part was used on the l/h/s but the r/h/s has a leak. I note that the TVOC has not made an efffort to overhaul more spares since the aircraft has been flying. They will probably run out of tyres next !
I always had doubts as to the viability of this project, operating it from Bruntingthorpe is very costly and they are not on the best terms with the landlord (too many favours and little thanks).
I think the TVOC should be thankful they have lasted this long. I still believe they should have learnt to walk before they tried running it would have saved alot of money and embarrasment. I'll ignore Biker Boy or Over the Hills Angel he can rant with the best of them and I obviously struck a nerve or two.
Ta Ta for now.