PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 19:48
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProfChrisreed

>I have to say that I am amazed that gliders or any other aircraft should be allowed to fly in cloud without a transponder. <

Apaology accepted as amazed means just that. All aircraft flying in IMC should have at least Mode C to be visible to Radar units, I am amazed that they are allowed to fly without mode C.

>With my lawyer's hat on, I'd think that such a collision might lead to the airline being sued for negligence, or possibly even prosecuted for corporate manslaughter, given the known risk of flying in IMC where there is the possibility of non-transponding traffic being present. GA and glider pilots can be presumed to have voluntarily accepted the risk, but the same can't be true of airline passengers. Whether such a lawsuit or prosecution would succeed I can't say, and I wish I were convinced that the airlines which have chosen to route through class G have reviewed this risk.<

Please read this incident report of a RyanAir into LondonDerry N Ireland and you might have a better understanding of where airliners do operate and how.
This was not a collision risk but just to explain that there are many airports like this with little control, some with NO radar and the 737s and A320s might go some way before entering an airway and proper control, so they could be in the same airspace as you and your non transponding glider and the same goes for me Flying a Citation Jet.

http://www.aerohabitat.org/link/21-0...IJ%2001-07.pdf

Londonderry ATC procedures
LDY operates two radio frequencies, Approach and
Tower. There is no radar facility at the airport, hence the
ATC approach service is procedural. When the tower
is staffed, it is done so by one ATCO who monitors and
controls both frequencies, which are cross coupled.
Additionally, he is responsible for carrying out ‘domestic’
duties that include the taking of landing fees, submitting
flight plans and issuing ATC clearances. When the
ATCO requires a break, the tower service closes down

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Sep 2008 at 21:00.