PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A340 X Pond With U/C Down??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 17:10
Pugilistic Animus

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
3Greens:
Idle Thrust:

I'm willing to stand corrected and I do understand the signifigance o9f the MEL/CDL---- but----

I'm trying to say that a defective or inoperative item not on the MEL/CDL even post dispatch---negates the airworthiness specifications of the ship and as such should be landed when practical---because that means there's no certification for the unserviceability of that particular item---in the case of gear retraction---I wouldn't continue the flight not because I couldn't get the gear up but more out of fear I couldn't get it back down--

-I wouldn't try to diagnose the problem---i let the mechanics deal with that on the ground While I sip cold coffee---because if there were a crash/incident I don't think the authorities would really care--they'd just cite you on reckless and careless operation

now if the QRH gives a procedure as has been alluded If it didn't work the very first time I'd call it quits simple--my gut feelings just wouldn't let me continue in that scenario---fighting to get the gear up---might mean that you'd have to fight to get it down---I don't want to say I hope the gear will drop when we get down---I just read an article about HOPE in aviation---it means Horrendous Outcomes Per Emotions---that flight had to much of a hope elememt for me