PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 16:39
MungoP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt very much that a JJ exists for Bukavu... I never saw one during my time with ASI though it's possible that one exists from the days prior to Jepp plates including the airport in its modern form. JJs are produced by and for operators utilizing small strips for which no approach has been listed. They do not (in my experience) detail any form of 'grandmothers let-down', they simply give a brief basic layout of the airstrip showing areas of concern to pilots ... a hill... runway slope ... people / cattle in the vicinity etc. I've constructed them myself and have never detailed any form of suggested let-down, including only a very generous MSA from each sector. Bukavu is a major airport (for that region) with published approach plates and would not warrent a JJ.
I hope you weren't implying that ASI or any other respected operator laid out their own MSAs or procedures that ran contrary to accepted practices.
Bush flying requires flying skills not commonly found (or taught) outside of areas of extreme remoteness. Those skills are adapted, practised and polished over time and if the pilots are cautious, dedicated, develop good judgement and are not too unlucky they become sought after professionals.... they are not cowboys, they simply aquire over time, skills that are not ordinarily found outside of those remote regions, being it the Congo, Alaska or some vast desert. The flying doesn't suit everybody and I've had the experience of flying with people from cosseted airline backgrounds who while being very competant in their own field found it impossible to make the mental adjustment to operations away from their familiar, civilised environment. They simply thought it dangerous and were unable to make the mental leap required to become accomplished in the field of remote area operations.
This form of flying can never attain the safety margins enjoyed by scheduled airline ops and if the operators were forced to adopt those procedures then flying in remote areas would cease altogether.
To a large extent the pilots flying in these regions are their own policemen and their own safety inspectors... the majority that I've had the privilege to work with became extremely adept at fulfilling those posts while achieving a very acceptable rate of success in getting the job done.
My best wishes to all of them who have now moved on and especially to those still out there... Stay safe guys.