PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 16:28
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>There are a number of pilots who have posted here who previously flew IMC in class G under three erroneous beliefs:

a. Gliders aren't allowed at all;

b. Other aircraft aren't allowed if not transponding;

c. All IMC flight in class G are in receipt of some kind of radar service.

None of these are true. How good was their training? <

ProfChrisReed

I have read through all the postings and cant find any powered pilots who have indicated any of the above

>The points I'm trying to make are:
- Sheer volume of VMC glider traffic calling a LARS is likely to overwhelm the unit with calls from gliders who, whilst they'll know where they are currently, don't have any idea where they'll be ten minutes later - there's times where I'll be at 5000' one minute and then ten minutes later I'll be at 500'. During that time I may have covered 20NM in any direction (including backtracking). A call to a LARS (if we can all decide which one to use) would result in something like "Glider 123 is operating in Open FIR in a height band between ground level and controlled airspace in the Oxfordshire area" is sometimes as accurate a report as I can get. This isn't going to help the controller and it's not going to help any power pilots either.
- In IMC conditions there may may again be a high volume of gliders unable to comply with RAS requiremenets (see doc http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srg_07webSSL08.pdf - "You must also inform the controller before making any other changes in heading or level" - in a glider that would require constant radio calls!).
- In IMC, while in cloud, there'll be a much lower volume of gliders in cloud (and they'll have a better idea of where they are whilst climbing but not whilst cruising)<

GPN01

When I read this all it does is make me realise that there is a substantial risk of a collision with Gliders.
When we do anything with an element of risk normally we do everything we can to minimise that risk.
Take the rock climber. Most will use every bit of modern technology to safeguard themselves. Some free climb and the risk factor increases dramatically. But if they fall they kill themselves.

When flying airways we are under control, our aircraft cost a fortune to comply with RVSM requirements to fly in the high flight levels and to keep an accurate seperation. Controllers an dpilots do make mistakes and so another level of safeguards are in place. TCAS to give an ultimate warning.

Coming down the scale there is flight in IMC out of controlled airspace. There is no possibility of see and be seen so all we can rely on is a different set of rules which keep us seperated. We have to trust in the other guy that he is suitably trained to be able to fly his aircraft and navigate as well as communicate to a set accuracy we also use a radar service if possible so that there is an extra set of eyes keeping a lookout on us.

Yes an aircraft can fly in IMC without a transponder but I would hope to know about him and have faith in the fact that he is suitably qualified to be flying at the correct quadrantel level and the level that he states he is at.

It is all about risk management and trust in your fellow aviator to be responsable towards you and your passengers.

It is this need to be responsable for the lives of others rather than taking the attitude of "I will do what the hell I like and damn you" that should make us want act on a level playing field to set standards.

If you read your piece above then you must realise the extreme danger for a collission in IMC for as you put it "there maybe a high volume of gliders who cannot comply with RAS services". Actually there are NONE but we wont go into that. By your own admission you or anyone else doesnt know where the hell you are or at what height and in IMC thats a lethal combination.

I personally would like to see a legal requirement of at least ModeC for flight in IMC conditions.

I also appreciate that when cornered its a natural human response to become personal and to degenerate an argument into personal flaming which is sad as it achieves nothing.

probably nothing will happen until the unthinkable happens and then the regulators will take charge and force changes.

And those changes should be an across the board level playing field for flight in IMC which gives us all a reasonable chance of not hitting each other.

If either the pilots or aircraft cannot meet those standards then they should not be there. I stress I am only talking about IMC where see and avoid is impossible. VMC do what you want.

And yes to those who think I should keep in controlled airspace with fast machinery like jets which I fly it would be great to fly in controlled airspace from takeoff to touchdown but in very many places that is impossible for me or the holiday 737 A320

It would be possible but only by adding large areas of more controlled airspace and I am sure many here would not appreciate that either, Which recently happened to the air around Doncaster.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Sep 2008 at 18:17.