PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 15:30
TeachMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear pilots,

How deadly is not setting flaps/slats? I have read if I am not mistaken on this thread that some (in 737??) have taken off with incorrect settings.

What I am getting at is considering the number of flights per day, is this something that happens unplanned often (daily, weekly, monthly???) with planes using a good chunk more runway but still getting just into the air, or is this a near certain crash situation. As a follow up, is the MD more or less tollerent of this situation than other aircarft?

What I am following with these questions are the possible human factors. This morning I was in the shower and half way through the shower I could not remember if I had already shampooed. When we do something every day in the same 'context' it is natural that we may falsely remember doing something or become confused and 'skip' a set of actions and not realize it. I know checklist protect agaist that, but mistakes can still happen.

Human factors are very hard to overcome, and if this accident was caused by such factors, what else could be done to prevent a repeat?

Thanks,

TM