PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL SEP to PPL Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 14:16
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I soloed the R22 with 8 hours in my logbook
That was in the UK or outside USA for sure as FARs allow no less than 20h dual in R22 for solo sign-off. Subject to appropriate handling skills.
Still, being let solo after so few hours means you were quite 'natural'.

As for the '2 finger pudding stirring', well, hovering isn't the hardest part of heli training at least for me.
I don't see why some say so. Maybe they never flew helis.
Or they had most troubles getting the chopper stay withing certain space.
Autos, running landings, slopes, steep approaches in cross wind (keeping in the trim and ground track) all took me some time to get somehow OK (will master in future, obviously)

I can't comment on airplane pilots learning helis. I only did paragliding beforehand which is bit too simple regarding control inputs.

For such reason I elected to do initial RW training and planks later. I don't want to get serious low G in R22 etc.
I had my first gliding dual (K13) two weeks ago. Could have before my R22 training, but rather not.
I did OK, but it surely is annoying at first - the lag between inputs and outcome in turns, centering, going out of turns, keeping attitude while turning. Don't know how it's in Cessna or Piper yet, but twitchy R22 is way more responsive.

I almost felt bored by so few controls (stick and pedals), but it surely is more relaxing flying. In heli there's different regimes, cruise, hover, maneuvres.

Jackboot,
Why not certain feeling of elitism within reason?
But not like I've heard some heli pilots/students that they wouldn't fly fixed wing - whether they actually tried it or not. Saying it's not 'real flying' etc. That's just loads of crap. If Cessnas feel claustrophobic, why not going for DA20 or PA38, Robin etc.

Different people having different kicks from different ways/styles of flying..