PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sony book reader
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 14:11
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony book reader

I have not yet had a proper look at this "new technology" but it occurred to me it could be an ideal way to store all those dreaded plates, from SIDs, STARs and approach plates to Pooleys.

I have got the lot on the MFD courtesy of Jeppsen in one of the aircraft I fly but it is always good to have a backup to the books or the MFD.

As I understand it the display is exceptioanally easy to read in sunlight / daylight, the battery demand is low and the size looks about right.

Colour is not really needed for this purpose.

I dont know whether it is possible to load pdf files or whether Pooley or CSE have any plans to produce an electronic version of their airport guides.

For the diligent it would also offer a brilliant way to keep these guides up to date without pi**ing around inserting bits of paper.

I have got the lot on my tablet but even though its a Lifebook it is not that convenient in the aircraft, it gets hot with the battery running, and its still a bit bulky.

(Edited to add just read on the Sony site that they say it will read pdf files. Sounds to me like you could download all the plates from NATS and have yourself a pretty good electronic flight deck!!)