PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 reportedly within 0.5m of crashing at FRA !!
Old 24th May 2001, 02:55
screwjack

Angry

3 putt:
I believe, with all due respect: you miss the point.

To the opposite: FBW almost killed them!

1. We are talking something short as 5 seconds before the wing would have hit the ground! Apparently there was light turbulence, so what if another would have hit the aircraft while flying with takeoff pwr, wingtip 1.6 feet above the ground? Do you know how damm close this is? Do you know how many fractions of an inch of additional false/right sidestick input by the Cpt. would have slammed the a/c right into the ground?

2. Yes, somebody at LHTechnics had screwed up. But: how can somebody design an electrical flight control input connector and use different wire diagrams, even within the same series of airplane? This was an incident (luckily no accident) waiting to happen. Such a device has to be designed dummy-proof and failsafe.

If you look at the famous "chain of events" leading to an accident, how many parameters here did almost make it happen? The well known 5, 4, 3, 2...?

3. And the ECAM indications showed proper aileron deflection while they were deflected to the opposite direction? So far I've not seen any A320,330,340 jockey looking out the window to the rear and checking if the ailerons move according to his input. Besides: it would be against the AI procedure. - So how should somebody catch this fault?

Now, and I know we are becoming hypothetical here, what if both sticks have been rewired according to the wrong wiring list. The f.....g ECAM would still show : OKAY!!!

This glitch has to be fixed ASAP and the good thing about this article might be that the story is out now. Might trigger some special attention in the respective workshops and maintenance facilities worldwide. Apparently the incident happend in March. So I believe AI was well aware of it by mid-April. Checked
company bulletins today: there is NIL! A simple bulletin would do the job in terms of "prevention".

This is what bothers me and it is symptomatic with Airbus Industrie and their birds.

So thanx God there was a very good trained crew, a F/O very, very quick and awake and only this one problem, no further wake, and it all happend with an airline and in a country where they didn't hide the event under some rug or somewhere else...