PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 14:02
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI, ridge soaring only works in certain wind conditions and assumes that the pilot is attempting to ridge soar - so there's no guarantee which route a glider pilot will take. The locals will probably stick to a preferred route which is known to produce suitable conditions - the Southdowns being a good example. Non-locals won't known any better!
I appreciate many of your views, but this does leave me with the impression that seeking any improvement at all over what we have is like pulling teeth.

OK so ridge soaring only works in certain conditions (accepted) but in the area I have mentioned that is where I always see gliders at any distance from the various local sites. I see them quite regularly working their way along the ridge. I cant imagine too many other gliders get there cross country so if they arent locals they are certainly starting out having trailed their glider to one of the local sites. I assume they might talk to the odd local or two before setting off.

There is only one unit in the area that can provide a LARS and there are only a couple of airfields. Everyone works these frequencies.

For those reasons I fail to understand why gliders is this area cant do as I have proposed? It is a small thing one is asking - it might not do any good but unless there is persuasive grounds for not doing so it has to be worth a try - and you have not yet persuaded me on this point.

I am not suggesting this is always a common denominator but equally I bet there are some other favoured routes about which activity could be passed in the same way. On top of all of that other asute aviates are expecting activity in these areas - that is why the gliding sites are marked as well as all the hang gliding sites all along the ridge.