PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:14
Benjybh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions?

To introduce myself, I'm Ben, age 16 and starting Sixth Form/College tomorrow. I recieved 7As and 3Bs in my GCSEs, and my A level subjects are Geography, History, German and Music. I chose these as they are subjects that I enjoy - I figured that it would be better to have 4Bs or As in those subjects than 3Ds in something like Latin, Physics and Further Maths.

Like many that have asked on here (I assume) it has been my lifelong ambition to become an RAF Pilot, something that stemmed from holidays in Wales and watching with awe Hawks from Valley screaming over beaches at 200'.

I hope to study Geography at Uni, preferably one with a good UAS. However, I have never stuck with Air Cadets; I have tried it twice over two years for about a month each time, but the local squadron is fairly small, and not particularly well organised. Also at one point, three of my best friends in the squadron just...left, and while I regret it now, this mattered hugely to me aged 14.

Basically, after that rather long-winded explaination (sorry!) I was wondering if not having stuck with Air Cadets will be a major drawback in terms of AFCO and OASC interviews?

Secondly, I don't do much in the way of team sports - I enjoy kayaking and mountain biking, but not really anything on a playing field. I'm starting my Silver DofE soon and hoping to do my Gold next year, but besides that what should I be doing to get a proverbial tick in the proverbial 'Teamwork' and 'Leadership' boxes.

I was considering getting a holiday job for a month or so in the summer at one of those outdoor pursuit places for kids. Is that a good idea?

And one last thing (sorry!) If you were to give a list of five things I should do to make myself employable to the RAF, besides fitness and good knowledge of the RAF etc. what would they be?

Thanks for your time,

Ben