PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 08:24
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TomH1408
What happens during the iterim periods when waiting to move onto the next stage of flight training? I only ask because some friends of mine who work as civilian outdoors instructors have said they have had a new guy who has just finished Hawk training at Valley come work with them while he waits to go to an OCU,
And the reason you want light shedding on the situation?

I was always led to believe that you were kept within the RAF during these times doing some sort of ground work.
That would not be unusual.

As for working with civilian outdoor instructors, in times past it was usual for some applicants who were judged weak in certain areas - leadership, fitness, confidence, life-skills - to be sent on Outward Bound Courses for 4 weeks or so before attestation and initial training. I do not know if that is done now pre-service but it is possible that your friend or a friend will benefit from some rigorous confidence building measures.