PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Business Issues ADSB (Now: Completely Off Topic Thread!)
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 08:05
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't even fly IFR or even NVFR any more, just day VFR. Is there some elitist thing with you IFR blokes that make me less a pilot?
Bob, you do have some insecurities, don't you!

I have no issues with VFR only pilots! Many of my mates are just that. I am fortunate in that I get to lap around the place in a well equipped IFR machine, and the ability to do so makes the aeroplane a very effective business tool.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when I did my IFR training years ago you had to be able to hold some 50ft of assigned altitude and some lateral margin that I just forget. If I can fly near these margins today why can't you?
I figure that I (well George anyway!) fly +/- 10' on the altimeter and +/- within a metre or two track - as would most IR pilots flying a well equipped aeroplane.

Is this common to IFR pilots, fly there because they can, and need to pay fror a separation service. We don't fly in cloud when you are there, so why should IFR cruise B050 on good days?
I suspect the pilot probably had a good reason for flying at that level! Personally, I generally fly on an IFR plan because:

1) I can! 2) If you are gonna fly IFR it pays to stay "in the groove" with IFR procedures 3) Its easier than VFR cause ATC looks after you 4) There is a small measure of increased safety cause you are flying on a "full reporting" basis

I generally fly as high as I can cause: 1) in my part of the world you get a much smoother ride up there 2) I get better range 3) I get better radio reception etc etc

I recently had my first "near miss" in 35 yrs flying. I was at 9000' west of Hughenden (HUG) headed for Townsville. A C182/206/210 that I think was climbing out from HUG, passed <100' below me. I didn't see him coming and there were no radio calls, no nothing! Scared me so much I bought a Zaon PCAS in the hope that I might spot a similar conflict in the future. I am into anything that might reduce the chance of a collision.

See and be seen has severe limitations.

Dr

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 3rd Sep 2008 at 12:56.