PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 07:59
planecrazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown into and out of Bukavu for a period of 4-5 years, just over 10 years ago, with B1900 and B200, it reminds me of a story I witnessed. (Many stories in Bukavu alone)

I landed in Bukavu in rain 1995, NDB approach, half tar, half gravel runway in those days and was hoping for a quick turn around. I called for start and was told by ATC “Standby, we have two B737 inbound”.

I listened out and watched the first B737 Air Zaire land. The ATC began asking the second one his position, to which he was not able to give exact details. Tower cleared him for approach and I continued to standby for start. After ten minutes, or so, the second B737, says “field in sight” to which he was cleared to land, however no one could see him. The first B737 asked the second guy what was his position and he said he had landed. No second B737 could be seen anywhere.

Then the first B737 captain asked the second (missing) B737 guy what was the runway heading and elevation of the runway he was on, to which the other guy responded.

It turns out that the second B737 over flew Bukavu, landed on the other side of Lake Kivu, in Kemembe Rwanda, into a 1400m strip, where SAFAIR L100 was operating from. An extremely short strip, high elevation for a B737. I was asked by ATC to overfly Kamembe and confirm that the B737 was on the airfield, which I was able to confirm. I am sure some of the SAFAIR guys will confirm this story of the B737 which was at the end of their runway. (Hey Paulo!)

This B737 landed in the wrong country, which was at war with Zaire in those days and on the wrong side of the lake, into the wrong runway, of wrong direction and wrong elevation and claimed to have completed and NDB app field insight and landed 5 nm away. It took years to get the B737 out, a piece agreement between two countries, unloaded to make it very light and it was flown to GOMA, refueled and back to Kinshasa.

The point is, it is very easy to screw up anywhere no matter the size or the experience of the crew or aircraft!

We all try to be professional with tools we have to work with! How we carry out the duties as individuals, is a different story!