PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 07:18
Heli-Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DRC CAA has a GNSS approach and so does the SACAA into Bukavu both differ with steep approach (glide angles) and if you where in a B1900 on the missed approach single engine you would be flying to the crash site.

Jeppesen does not have either of these approaches in their data base, therefore when you load up your FMS or GPS data card you will not have them there to do the approach. There are legal ramifications and Jeppesen is not stupid.

Pilots seem to think that you can take these third world approaches and load the waypoints into their GPS's and then fly the approach. The problem is that when you do that you only have enroute accuracy which is 5nm instead of the 0.3nm accuracy required in APPROACH MODE. That is why you need a RNP stand alone FMS or a TSO145 stand alone GPS in your aircraft to do a GNSS approach where there are no other approach aids such as Bukavu. Accuracy is important when using the GNSS and remember to check your RAIM before you do the approach.

Grizzly that's why you need training before you blast off into GPS lala land. I sure would like to see you explain your way out in a court room using your logic ... I quote you "The RSA pilot licence no longer specifies rated approach types, so as long as the crew were current on GNSS approaches, they were legally entitled to fly the approach in IMC below the MSA"

Pity you cannot ask the Russians that flew into the side of the montain in Bukavu back in 2006 using their hand held GPS's. Why they didn't get the required training to do a GPS approach. I am sure the insurance investigators will be looking at the B1900's GPS to see what they had and if it was legal.

The UN issued a memo to all flight crews in August 2006 not to do a GNSS approach into Bukavu because of everything I have said above.

Grizzly you are demonstating your lack of knowledge of GNSS requirements for:
1. Aircraft requirements
2. Crew training
3. Operating the GNSS for the approach
4. Legal requirements to fly the said approach

All I can say is be careful before you use the GNSS on an approach anywhere in the world .... do your homework !!!!!!