PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 06:48
Fitter2

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Quote (can someone remind me how to do the quote thingy)

It has been mentioned that facts are required. Yes, they are. I have read, on this page alone, that there are substantial numbers of gliders in cloud and yet, there are rarely gliders in cloud. Well? A lot of glider pilots do not hold a radio licence yet many of them hold ATPLs?

I can't find a statement that there are lots of glider pilots in cloud; on the occasions when cloud flying is useful (and it has been pointed out that on most good soaring days there is no advantage in cloud flying) then there are possibly a dozen or so in cloud at any given time, and less than a hundred at some time. Difficult to get accurate figures.

If 60% of gliders have no radio licence, and 25% hold ATPLs, then both your second statements would be true. The professional pilots who are also glider pilots tend to be more active than the average, in my experience. Holding a radio licence is sensible so that, for example, one can talk to a controller if entering an ATZ is a possibility; where I fly the proportion of licence holders is increasing.