PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat - "Panic in the Cockpit" recording
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 01:05
Captain Big Iron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A310 capt seven years.
I haven't listened to the recording, but you are likely hearing a compendium of the CRC, stall warning and single advisory chime.

I had this happen once at altitude once, where we were flying in clear air around a typhoon into a band of disturbed Alto Cumulous that didn't really look that bad. (But it was)

LOUD ice hit the windscreen, we lost everything on both sides, the autopilot let go, the speed tapes went nuts and our company had the warnings (which could only be set on the ground) at max volume; no way to cancel some of the CRC (same as fire bell) so you had to shout loudly to communicate. (Sounded like panic on the radio, I'm sure, but it's more frustration that there's no way to kill the CRC (continuous repetitive chime) on the A310.

We picked up a shidload of ice, the airplane, according to the standby altimeter was going downhill fast but it was eratic as well. We had no idea what altitude or airspeed we were at so I just set 98% N1 and held about 4 degrees pitch IIRC.

About seven minutes later everything was recovered on it's own, and we discovered we were flying about 2500 feet off assigned.

The A310: she was a good old girl, but like many of your old flames she had some annoying computer habits (nag, nag, nag with the chime all night long.)