PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 00:21
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrobus;
Don't forget him. They were good and skilled pilots, many of your Spanish collegues, said that. People who flew with him in several situations.
Also the same for the rest of the that good crew ... and the passengers of course, the main reason why we're here now.

Think like pilots and try to imagine what happened inside that cockpit ... like pilots. Don't doubt about your colleague's capabilities or competence first.
Your English communicates just fine.

Thank you for your post which is a very important one to all readers of this thread but especially flight crews who do this work.

We may be almost certain that your colleagues were of the highest professional standard and highly skilled aviators.

I say this not in "automatic defense" of colleagues and certainly not in flattery or comforting but in another way. This is an important flight safety point that you have made.

While already understood by most, it is very good to remember that each one of us could find ourselves in the same circumstances and that these pilots were doing their very best to save their passengers in the few seconds they had.

There is sometimes a quiet thought that perhaps a crew "wasn't good enough" or that some other reason resulted in a "sub-standard" performance. It is my experience, and I am assured by other safety people and experienced accident investigators as well, that this is rarely true.

Instead, very good, high-time, experienced pilots with whom no fault may be found in their records or personal lives can find themselves in these circumstances, sometimes beyond their control, sometimes within it.

In other words, these pilots were just like you and me.

A number of posts on this thread have said this in other ways and other posts have discussed "cultural" issues, "human factors" and so on. These are very important areas of discussion among flight crews and airline managers alike. We know now that most accidents are the result of systemic causes and not just one isolated mistake.

Because aviation safety is highly-resilient, it tolerates mistakes by many people almost all the time but sometimes all the barriers are broken through and an accident happens.

With the help of serious professionals who know their own fields well enough to enter a collegial dialogue respectful of others' professionalism, those who fly airliners for a living come to PPRuNe to talk about and maybe even find out what happened to their colleagues.

Thank you for your post, sir.

PJ2