PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 22:27
Skycop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin 400,

You obviously fly a very expensive and sophisticated helicopter that has no means of protecting you and your passengers from risk of collision.
Not so. The aircraft I fly has TCAS, in addition to full IFR equipment which allows me to use an ATC Radar service.

I obtain a RIS, ATC ask me to squawk and identify me and then warn me of other radar contacts. Unfortunately, gliders do not show well on radar and at least judging by the comments on this thread their pilots do not generally wish to participate in the established LARS system.

Some are trying to say there is little or no risk of a collision with a glider in IMC, but you agree with me that there is a definite risk.

However, a glider in IMC has no means of protecting its occupants from risk of collision apart from the 5% of gliders carrying FLARM.

My only point is that a glider pilot could easily also obtain some protection from a mid-air collision (and give it to others) via ATC with a simple radio call, in addition to a reliance on FLARM. Other pilots, hence suitably warned by ATC, have a choice of taking the risk in cloud, or not.

I have no other axe to grind and will now leave you to it.