PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 20:11
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've just quicky skimmed through the last ten pages (since my last post here) and have only one word to add: Wibble!

However, the issue of Shipboard Rolling Vertical Landings has been discussed on PPRuNe, on a thread of its own. A link seems appropriate. I have to say that I think it right and proper than the RN continues to be a the forefront of naval aviation innovation.

In fact, I wasn't going to post again until the first steel was cut. This may be local, as part of the carrier(s) will be built locally at Appledore. Very good news, particularly considering how they were let down by the Government in 2003. However, more CVF equipment orders have been placed by the MOD.

The Alstec (now Babcock) weapon handling system is key to sortie generation, but the use of warehousing technology reduces the manpower needed by up to 75%, which is just as well as CVF will never have the sort of 5000 strong crew a US CVN does. It is an example were new technology means that running costs are relatively low. Likewise many systems will be common with other RN platforms, such as the new Artisan radar, which will also be fitted to frigates and amphibious vessels.