PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shipboard Rolling Vertical Landing - The saviour of Dave-B?
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 19:05
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJ,

One more bump then -

The UK has not 'committed to' STOVL - we are still officially in 'wait and see' mode', although STOVL is stated as our 'preferred option' - clear as mud, right? Basically, my view is that we are hedging our bets in case the F-35B falls over big time. My view is that it won't. I might be wrong and others will differ.

Assertions and facts - 'high level industry participation in JSF' is not a direct link to UK buying STOVL. Yes, RR get lift fan work, but they have a good stake in the F136, which could go in all variants. BAES are building bits of all three variants, MB are supplying all the seats.

Cost of F-35B against F-35C, for the same capability, just isn't known with certainty. We do know that C will be the most expensive variant. 'Capability' of a CVF with its air group is not easy to quantify, but there have been studies by respected organizations (actually quoted in the link you provided) that point to very good 'bang per buck' for advanced ASTOVL equipped ships. And one thing is certain - we are going to have less bucks to play with than the USN.

As ever, John Farley is bang on the mark - current requirements for safety and public attention to loss rates would make a move to the very skill intensive world of cat and trap an expensive business (and don't forget the costs of training the deck crews and ships company as well)

This has been a really enjoyable thread,

Best regards

Engines