PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 18:10
south coast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rags said, 'In bad weather a CFIT in that area is a good possibility. There is no approach into Bukavu and no beacons.'

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, CFIT is only a 'good' (I think you mean high) possibility because one decides to go below the MSA, in the abscense of any nav aids or approaches, when the weather is LESS than VMC, and unfortunately therein lies the problem with that part of the world, which was my initial question,

Is there pressure to get the job done, otherwise I am struggling to understand why an experienced and competant crew, as it has been said already, would enter into the gamble of descending below the MSA in bad weather while aware of the terrain below.

I am not trying to aportion blame on to the crew, but something must have influenced them to try to get in, and as it has been written already, I am sure they were aware as everyone who has posted is, just how perrilous the Goma region can be in bad weather.

I disagree with Gooneybird somewhat because as she said there is a good chance the facts will never be known, then it is down to sensible discussion and debate to try and understand what may have caused this so it doesnt happen to others.