PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 13:27
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was starting now. I would try to get on an integrated course quite simply because it's the quickest and frankly the easiest method. You go to a FTO, they train you, you work hard and at the end of a couple of years you're qualified........if I had the money or I could get the money.

If I hadn't got enough money but sufficient to go full time. I would do a full time modular course of some sort, probably in America. This is the commonest method for people who have worked for a while and borrowed or saved enough to train.

The worst method is to continue to work and borrow as you go. That method takes years and is fraught with difficulty. But quite often is only way for many people. And that is the method I was forced to use.

As for people's motivation. I'd say most are the same. But you will get more people on integrated courses who just want to be airline pilots because it looks like a 'cool' career. They could have been Doctors or Lawyers or whatever but chose pilot. Most of them would never survive the modular method because of the compromises and difficulties.

But at the end of the day, when it comes to actually flying an airliner. After a few months in the job. You won't notice the difference or even care. Statements like 'Integrated courses prepare you better for an airline career' may or may not be true but it's irrelevant because the majority of pilots come down the modular route and they seem to have perfectly adequate careers.

Daria's fate is to still believe in the more romantic view of flying. Indeed many of us still do. The one thing I will say to you Daria is the men in general don't like to express that attitude whether they think it or not. It's the old macho thing especially in groups of men and particularly young men with their excess of testosterone. Get one alone and you might find a different attitude. The macho view on flying is blatant here on PPRuNe. God forbid you wax lyrical on the subject. You'll be hammered from all sides. Remember it's and 'industry' now and none of your airy fairy 'slipped the surly bonds of Earth' poetic nonsense.

So all we talk about is the career progression and terms and conditions. Like it was just another Accountancy job.

You get the wrong sort in any business or website. Ignore them and do your own thing.