PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 12:57
I.R.PIRATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SA pilot killed in DRC crash
02/09/2008 14:25 - (SA)

Kinshasa - The pilot of a plane that crashed during a storm in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday was a South African man, a family member has confirmed.

The Beechcraft carrying 17 passengers and crew crashed into a ridge in the eastern part of the country. The US based group that operated the route told AP that there appeared to be no survivors.

Rudi Knoetze, the 24-year-old pilot, was born in Port Elizabeth but was living in Johannesburg, the family member, who requested anonymity, told News24 on Tuesday.

"His parents are distraught. Their lives revolved around him," the family member said.

She pointed out that a radio report about the accident stating that Knoetze's mother was on holiday in PE was incorrect. "His grandparents live in PE and will be flying to Johannesburg tonight to support his parents in this difficult time."

"His father was always so proud of him," she said.

Bad weather

The plane went missing in bad weather late on Monday, a spokesperson for the UN office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs told AP.

The plane was on its way from the city of Kisangani to the town of Bukavu, on the DRC's eastern border with Rwanda, when it lost contact with ground control.

Rescuers spotted the wreckage of the Beechcraft aircraft on Tuesday about 15km northwest of the town of Bukavu, on the border with Rwanda.

Air Serv International, a Warrenton, Virginia-based group, runs the twice-weekly aid delivery flight between Kisangani and Bukavu.

"Search and rescue efforts were initiated early this morning and visual confirmation of the downed aircraft was made," a company statement said.

The location was on steep ridge, it said.

South African commercial company

Air Serv International describes itself as a not-for-profit aviation organisation that supports humanitarian programmes worldwide.

No Air Serv personnel were involved in the crash, group spokesperson Suzanne Musgrave told AP by telephone from Warrenton.

She said the plane was being flown by a South African commercial company, Cem Air.

A senior official with the South African company confirmed that the plane used for the flight was owned by Cem Air, and that two of its crew were flying the aircraft.

"I'm in contact with the South African Air Force base there, and they haven't given me any information about any survivors," Cem Air's chief pilot MJ Booysen said.

"The airplane at this point is missing, but we are on standby for further information," he said. - News24-AP