PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Bad news for Sunwing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 12:57
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should point out that SunWing and Canjet, like Air Transat...play the IT game and as such, aren't LCCs (by definition). But if you looked closely at these operations they are as close to an LCC as damn is to swearing.
What these three players rely on are 'package' tours. They also let the consumer pay for the gas hikes so they don't have much publicity that tells the consumer they're going to have to tack this increase onto the price of an inclusive tour. They leave that up to the tour operator.
This means eventually, the package price climbs to 'just beyond' the consumers reach. That just might impact the number of seats occupied on that Puerta Plata flight.

As for West Jet and Southwest. I'm inclined to agree here. I truly believe these guys are LCCs (by definition and history). With strong balance sheets. Unless the bean counters are cooking the books. But lets' face it. That never happens in the airline industry, does it?
The days of "fly West Jet" at all costs isn't the mindset of consumers, trust me. Consumers will postpone travel until the price fits their budget. But, that's nothing new.

Last time I checked WJ YUL-YHZ, the fare was the same as AC. Except I had to go via YYZ, which didn't make sense. But hey, it was searched as the lowest fare. Maybe their direct flight is a bit more expensive?
Wait a minute, isn't this website booking business suppose to be easy to use???
I don't think WJ is in danger of going out of business anytime soon. But, if Zoom can tank, you gotta wonder about CJ and SW. I'm pretty sure Mr. Rowe will only go so far with losses in the balance sheet before he puts an end to it.
While it's nice to have a fleet of shiney new NGs, the monthly lease/finance charges add up.

Don't forget, I'm only speculating here.