PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Tristar problems?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 09:53
Brain Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm - isn't the real solution to restore the UK's Armed Forces to the number of personnel needed to cope with the legacy of NuLabor's profligate military adventurism?
In general I agree, but as this thread is about TriStar airbridge problems and the consequent effect on the troops, I maintain that the principle solution lies in the provision of modern, reliable aircraft. General availability of additional personnel cannot really solve this particular problem.

Extra troops would allow the Army to give each unit longer between deployments, but the size of the airbridge task would remain the same. Alternatively, an enlarged army would see more units deployed as reinforcements, which would increase the airbridge task. Moreover, as additional frontline units would still deploy as battalion/battle-group sized formations, with R+R plans based on maintaining a percentage of establishment, the number of personnel with disrupted R+R would soar as the airbridge came under greater strain.

A larger army, with a longer period between tours, would give the MoD the option to ease the airbridge burden by removing the R+R entitlement and requiring the troops to do a 6-month uninterrupted deployment, but that would be a highly controversial decision.

The MoD ought to be watching what is happening in the commercial world and taking a suitable opportunity to acquire the right type aircraft to operate the airbridge. Sadly though, I don't think they are capable of moving quickly enough to identify, procure and introduce such aircraft into service in a time-scale that is quick enough to make such an interim project worth attempting before FSTA arrives. I assume that rapid introduction of an Air Transport capability is now the priority for the FSTA project?