PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlink Politics
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 06:10
nugpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It gives me no pleasure to say I told you so.

If you look in the archives on this site, you will see that we warned the Airlink pilots many moons ago that losing representation of the ALPA branch will cost you dearly. The only thing that saves pilots at an airline like this is a strong union.

I know that the pilots at Airlink were disillusioned by the actions of the Chairman at the time, but the solution was to change the Exco of the branch, not to resign from it.

Solidarity might be cheaper, but could never really solve aviation related problems. I see that there is a slow movement back to ALPA. A lot of Airlink pilots are non-branch members and you need to now start a recruitment drive and get your numbers past 50%, although the aim should be 100%. The select a strong Exco and STAND BEHIND THEM.

Do not allow Rodger to bully the Association by trying to fire the Chairman. The only way to solve the problem is for the pilots to stand together.

Unfortunately the apathy and lack of unity of the pilot group caused this situation and nothing will change unless that is first addressed. It is easy to drive a wedge between pilots by starting to slowly treat different groups in different ways or to bring in a new type and to disregard seniority. If the pilots can just stop thinking of themselves (individually) first, then the situation can be turned around.

OK, lecture finished. I hope that you guys and girls can find some common ground and get your ALPA branch up and running. All the help and expertise from the other branches and the ALPA staff is at your disposal. There is now case law that Rodger will have to accept the Association as bargaining unit if your numbers go past 50% of the pilots.

Good luck.
nugs