PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Business Issues ADSB (Now: Completely Off Topic Thread!)
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 02:46
Bob Murphie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTDK;

I don't even fly IFR or even NVFR any more, just day VFR. Is there some elitist thing with you IFR blokes that make me less a pilot?

Been flying since 1965 mate. Being a dinosaur only means I have a head full of knowledge that has enabled me to still be here today. I was flying turbocharged V35B VH- DLO and Cessna turbo 210 VH MRH way back in 1974

If you choose to fly IFR everywhere and fly in my hemispherical sector and altitude and don't use the radio for separation during climb and descent, then that is the first tangible reason for me to have ADSB if it's all it's cracked up to be. (if that pretty much sums you up).

Correct me if I am wrong, but when I did my IFR training years ago you had to be able to hold some 50ft of assigned altitude and some lateral margin that I just forget. If I can fly near these margins today why can't you?

An example. Tracking 200 degrees VFR one day on the NDB (which I am endorsed on), and the gps for VFR backup, 4500ft I hear someone depart an airport on my near left tracking 295 IFR at 4000ft. It was CAVOK 8/8 blue sky. Why did this bloke need to be below 5000 for a start, (why did he need to be IFR), and why did Melbourne Centre need to advise him of unknown VFR traffic and then need Melbourne Centre to advise him once we had passed each other. Both on the same QNH and my electric slave holding an accurate altitude since 2 hours before? Was this a near miss or a near hit?

More, when I identified myself to Melbourne Centre as the unknown traffic and offered to climb if he was so concerned, I was ignored.

Is this common to IFR pilots, fly there because they can, and need to pay fror a separation service. We don't fly in cloud when you are there, so why should IFR cruise B050 on good days?