PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trimdon Aerodrome
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2008, 21:52
eason67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishburn Accident

While I only know what the BBC news has said about the accident, I can say I doubt very much whether it would be a waterlogged strip. I flew a tail wheel Piper out of there for 5 years and the only waterlogging there was near the bottom of the runway about 100m from 26 threshold. It underwent drainage 2 years ago too!
I do know if he landed on 08, which is downhill, he may have got it wrong, especially if he is not familar with it, and nosed over, although, in a nosewheel thats interesting. If he landed heavy and broke it off the that explains it.
Over the years I flew at Fishburn, the majority of accidents (and I mean practically 99%) happened on landing or taking off on Runway 08. When you land on it you need substantial power right down almost to the threshold as you get alot of sink there, dont ask me why. If you dont have that power and do experience a rapid RoD then you land hard. About 2 years ago a Europa did just that and ended up breaking the undercarriage off!

Fishburn is a well maintained airfield, friendly and helpful. Theres always someone around and the emergency services land there regularly for cuppas etc.. They know exactly where it is. The airfield is not licenced but has fire trained pilots, first aid trained pilots, an ex fireman and pilots there who are doctors and nurses.

I hope both chaps get well soon.