PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the RAF desperate?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2008, 15:09
spannermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am due to leave at the end of this month after 19 years in. I’ll certainly have a bit of a knot in my belly when the SAC admin monkey manages to finally prise my 1250 from my grasp, if I can find one as most of my parent unit seems to have already shut up shop.

I think the point that most are trying to make is that no one really expects to be sat down for a last brew with Harry Staish or for him to walk you to the door, pat you on the back and say thank a lot old chap, now go and enjoy the future! If that’s what anyone is hoping for then the planet they live on must be full of people who eat rainbows and poop butterflies. If you do get a final chat with a Senior then make the most of it.

I think that what it boils down to is a simple matter of respect. As with any of the Services, when you leave after many years it would be nice to receive a little bit a genuine and sincere recognition for your efforts and occasionally being shot at all in the name of a good cause! Unfortunately when they decided to introduce the fabulous certificate and badge (looking forward to mine arriving!!) that all but evaporated. I think that for any true recognition, if that’s what you’re after is something you have to look to your friends for, if you deserve any! I would suggest that a final beer call, dining out night or some form of last p**s up would provide many more memories and appreciation than any poxy bit of paper or bit of scrap tin and don’t forget to leave any bitter and twisted memories behind with your ID, only take the good ones with you

Good luck to those who are staying and best of luck to those leaving

Foreign climes beckon.

Pasta La Vista - no!
Asta Lasagne - no still not right
Pasta Lasagne

30 days and counting!