PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2008, 14:12
jaydoubleyou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edward Stourton, BBC Holiday Jet Plunge Correspondent?

My fury at BBC coverage came from the tone of the interviews, Stourton seems to approach any aviation story, (or non story!) from an initial question of You MUST have been terrified, i.e. terror is compulsory! I felt he was looking for some horrror story, and seemed disappointed to get fair, if mistaken, criticisms from the passenger, followed by prompt and accurate rebuttal by the MD.
Stourton seemed to use exactly the same script as in the Quantas incident, about a month ago, although that was, admittedly, a much more serious and unusual event.
In the 1960s the Roger Bacon column in Flight International used the fake by-line of "our holiday jet plunge correspondent" to lampoon the ignorant and sensationalist reporting of aviation matters common in those days. Mr Stourton could be in line to bring home the Bacon for the BBC.
Aviation professionals usually get one chance to get things right, and many have paid with their own lives when they didn't, that's the sort of Deadline journalists will never understand.