PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2008, 12:39
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>Until we can have a single approved, workable, method then we're going to have to continue embracing see and be seen, use controlled airspace for those who have the platform to use it and accept an element of risk.<

GPN01

I dont have a problem with see and be seen when we are both in a position to see each other ie reasonable VMC clear and away from cloud.

In 20 years of flying I have seen hundreds of gliders around the base of clouds at 2-3000 feet but only one above 10000 feet and that was over the Alps infact I cannot remember seeing a glider above clouds at all as the Alpine one was near the mountain face and in good VMC.

Eagles and large birds of prey yes but they have excellent eyesight and avoiding techniques :-)

So we are talking about potential risk. While it is great for fast IFR traffic to operate from take off to touchdown in controlled airspace even the airlines are forced to operate out of controlled airspace for portions of their flight at certain airports.

So there is "potential" for a midair with a passenger carrying 737 especially if radar do not pick up a non transponding Glider in a lump of cloud.

The result of such a disaster would be massive and speedy changes in regulations faster than we could write our objections in these forums then there would be no choice.

The potential is there and it is a game of Russian roulette until the unthinkable happens.

Pace