PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2008, 06:47
Fitter2

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
There is probably a much higher degree of understanding of CAT operation among the general gliding fraternity than the reverse - a significant proportion of glider pilots are current or ex ATPLs, and we do talk to them.

If I believed cheap PCAS systems worked, (and they don't tell the other aircraft of your presence without transponder carriage, now mandated to be Mode S requiring much more than a couple of dry batteries) then I might consider one. The user reports I have seen are very equivocal.

We have been told that we are a danger to positioning aircraft flying VFR through a cloud that we might be in - which part of VISUAL don't I understand?

When we sometimes use cloud flying, it is normally to climb in isolated towering cumulus where the spacing between gives a high probability of not reaching the next one from cloudbase. Under these circumstances, why in the open FIR fly directly throough an isolated cloud if a minor route adjustment would avoid that?

There appears to be an attitude among some CAT drivers that they have a much greater right to open airspace than glider pilots, and this precludes the sort of reasoned discussion that might be useful; thank you FujiAbound for more reasonable contributions to the discussion. I apologise for being somewhat tongue in cheek provocative, but it seemed he best way of highlighting the lack of logic occasionally put form the CAT point of view.