PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 22:49
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji Abound wrote:

You can of course do one very simple thing. Buy a PCAS. It weighs about as much as a matchbox. It runs for around 8 hours on two AA batteries. It will stay put with simple attachment through at least 6G of aeros (that is the most I have tried at any rate) and best of all it will cost you a couple of hundred quid and you don’t need to fit a transponder. At least you are talking my language - its not perfect but you will have a good chance of getting out of my way even if I have no idea you are there.
This is potentially a very good suggestion. Unlike the fitting of transponders to gliders (which carries large costs - financial and operational - as explained above, with little benefit in return), this could meet my criteria, and I suspect those of others.

Questions:

1. Where can we find out more about the operating constraints (for example, I couldn't mount the thing horizontal, it would have to be at a 30 degree angle - does that still work?), installation issues and costs? any links to known good units?

2. Would I see any benefit VMC only? I don't currently fly in cloud or in controlled airspace. I can see a benefit of reducing collision risk in cloud which makes the cost worthwhile - would it really be much help in VMC? Anecdotes from those who use PCAS in VMC would be helpful, especially if any fly gliders.

Presumably you'd also urge PCAS on non-gliders who fly IMC without transponders - from another thread, that appears to include not only powered a/c but potentially balloons!

If PCAS really is a useful way of collision risk reduction for gliders in IMC, then the route to getting it mandated is via the BGA. Laws & Rules for Glider Pilots could be amended - these aren't legally binding, but if you are known to be flying outside them then your gliding club will take action (this is definitely the most effective enforcement mechanism). To convince them, reasoned argument of the sort which Fuji Abound has put forward, but more technically detailed, will be needed, as their expertise is very high.