PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 22:37
Green-dot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As posted by justme69, post #1045:

I would like to ask the golden question to pilots of MD-82 or similar planes.

In your opinion, *assuming perfectly working engines and no reverser deployment*, *assuming no windshear*, and assuming said airplane took around 500m more of air strip than estimated as normal for its
(pretended) configuration to lift-off (i.e. it took longer to accelerate to speed than predicted or it rotated for longer than "it should've" or a combination of both, etc), what is the most likely cause of a fully loaded airplane like that being able to become airborne for 3-5 seconds but yet just "fall" after rolling left & right and w/o an experienced crew being able to do much about it on time?

Again, let's assume both engines were working properly and reversers were never deployed, just for the scope of this question.

Thank you in advance.
I am not a pilot but . . . .

There is a scenario which can lead to rolling left and right at rotation or lift-off if the cause went undetected but it does not fit the summer season, ice contaminated wings. With temperatures near 30 C, and an aircraft on ground for several hours that would seem very unlikely, unless the aircraft had cold soaked wings from a previous (long) flight at altitude, no or very little fuel uplift, and precipitation at Barajas prior to departure. At more moderate temperatures (sometimes upto 15 C) that could have been a possibility. Aircraft not limited to the MD-8x but any aircraft with aft fuselage mounted engines has an extra issue with ice on the wings, if there is clear ice on the upper surface near the wing root, it can break away at rotation as the wing flexes and it can reduce engine performance if not flame out an engine all together.

I know, far fetched in case of this accident.

Green-dot