PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson, N Cornwall 9th July.
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 17:57
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Sid, unfortunately the inability to read met forecasts is not confined to R22 pilots - we had a Robin (4 seat FW) appear on the runway at Chiv a few weeks back while the cloudbase was 2-300' in heavy rain and 25kts blowing from the West. The Robin was one of 5 French aircraft that launched from Cork, trying to get to Exeter and did so based on the Exeter TAF which was OK for the period. What they forgot to consider was the very active cold front occupying the space between Cork and Exeter and the 5 aircraft ended up spread to the 4 winds with most landing in S Wales. Our Robin tried to get to Eaglescott but couldn't get through because of the low cloud, turned back towards the sea thinking they might have to ditch and suddenly saw several thousand feet of runway beneath them. We looked after them for the night and I think they were rather chastened by their near-death experience - strangely they paid a great deal of attention to the met the next day.

I share your concerns about the gung-ho mentality of some in the PPL market, partly 'cos you and I are the ones who get to go and pick up the pieces when they push on too far!