PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Varsity
Thread: Vickers Varsity
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 17:49
CharlieJuliet

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Arrived at Manby in September '64 straight from FTS at Acklington. I flew a couple of trips in the Varsity, and then was let loose as a co-pilot for the guys going through refresher flying on their 'solo' flights. Sadly I only recorded the registration numbers, but see from my logbook that I was co-pilot in 422 in Nov when we flew a Senior Naval Officer from Strubby to Thorney Island. From memory the SNO had an aircraft at Manby, but it was too foggy for Transport Command to take off. The Commandant CAW said 'my lads will do it' and we departed from a very foggy Strubby (we had a Varsity that had diverted there, and initially the weather was not too bad but fogged in as we drove down). The first low viz take off I had been in - I recall breaking fog at around 100 feet. We spent the night at Thorney and flew back the next day. I finished on the Varsity shortly after that, and had the very good fortune to complete AFTS on the Meteor at Strubby because the Gnats were not very servicable at the time. I much enjoyed the 'super pig' and was fortunate to be reunited with it again at Farnborough in the 80s were I flew quite a few test sorties on WL679. Delighted to see it stilll exists.