PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Varsity
Thread: Vickers Varsity
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 16:29
Two-Tone-Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG, massive nostalgia department ...

I was an ATCO at Strubby 65-67 with the Pigs [and Canberras, later the Dominie , known locally as the "VC-5"]. Some monstrously experienced ex-WW2 QFIs there doing the School of Refresher Flying. As Dave [fellow plt off ATCO] and I were basically the only young people on the Unit, we were sort of "pet plt offs" and treated wonderfully kindly by the "elders". We had our own flying kit, and would often be roped in as "co-pilot" for the occasional SCT or Air Test if we were off-watch from the Tower.

I can still remember some of it ... "Speed below 135, gear down, 2400 rpm, Co-synchronise, Air intakes Filter, Oil Coolers Auto, brake pressure [1200?], check 3 greens .... Checks complete [possibly?]. Dave and I used to be tearing our hair out in the GCA truck when the Refresher students used to take 3-4 minutes to do that!

Sadly, no photos to offer, apart from one of me in Approach ... UHF on the one-sided bakelite telephone headset, and VHF done with the bakelite telephone with the PTT button!

edit ... logbook only lists WJ905, WJ908 and WL429.