PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Glen Speaks!
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 14:55
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Purdey, and mileandahalf

Gentlemen, I can see your debate is ongoing. Can I please add my two-penneth worth please.
From an outsiders point of view I can both agree with JP and disagree with him.
Very few folks in the aviation world would ever dismiss any of JP's views on avaition (and especially in the VTOL world), and indeed many would look upon him as a world expert, BUT I also think that in your later career JP, you were somewhat "spoiled".

For example, you were listened to by senior figures, and could often have your point of view both listened to, and "heard". I think one of the big gripes in today's British forces is that no-one is listened to, resulting in a feeling of low morale, frustration and also helplessness.

I also think that times, and the attitude of modern management are different. JP, you may well remember how one of the ground staff (not sure on that point, but not a TP) knew well in advance of the TP's that the Harrier's/Kestrel's outrigger wheels would wobble in use. He was listened to..... Imagine if he (and others) had been ignored, and had to watch crews struggle with this problem for the next 30 years!

It is also possible that there is some "rose coloured vision" going on, now that it is not your life on the line (no offence meant. Maybe similar to how is is easier to babysit someone elses children, as you know you can give them back).

As for JP being a windup merchant, I always thought that was an essential quality of a TP.

Barnstormer1968