PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did Heathrow used to look ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 10:12
Geezers of Nazareth

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
agreed-so so much has changed.

i remember the 105 bus route, with those jump on, jump off Routemaster buses which used to travel from shepherds bush to heathrow, & was like soo cheap to travel on them just to see heathrow. it was like 20p return with those conductors too.
I can remember going to Heathrow on the 140 route (RTs and Routemasters) for 3p each way (that's '3 new p'!), and then a further 3p to get into the Queen's Building viewing terrace.

I can remember the IRA car-bomb in the T1 car park, and everywhere being evacutaed into the area near the bus station - and Ronnie Corbett entertaining us while the 'powers that be' decided how they would get us out (since the tunnel was closed!).

I also remember the 140 bus route home on Sundays. Certain selected journeys would go through the cargo tunnel and out past the area where T4 is now, down to Hatton Cross, and then around the eastern peri-road to Harlington Corner. I have a vague idea that this was because the tube link between the Centre and Hatton X was closed for works on Sundays?

I can also remember somebody doing an oil painting of the view from the QB. He seemed to be there most Sunday afternoons, and looking at some of the older types in the picture I got the idea that he'd been painting it for about 40 years (and that was in the 70s)!