PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TIBA?
Thread: TIBA?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 08:40
Quokka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never be afraid to ask the "stupid" question.

Often, it's not stupid at all... but a step to awareness and understanding of something very important. You may be surprised at how often someone will think, or say to you, I'm glad you asked that question... I didn't know either.

We often take for granted what we know and forget that it needs to be communicated to those who may not know... or consider that they don't need to know (the God complex?). The weaker ones will use the phrase "it's common sense" to justify their inability to educate and mentor. A non-aviation employer I used to work for used the phrase "educate your customer" constantly, to emphasise the need for understanding and communication. I used it in Air Traffic Control in Australia a few times only to hear in reply "why should we, they should know"...or... "it's not my job to educate them". If we have an opportunity to close a hole in the Swiss Cheese, however small, shouldn't we jump at the chance?

EII85,

Today's Cessna pilot with 130hrs is tomorrow's A380 Captain... or Air Traffic Controller. Keep asking those questions and keep questioning your understanding. Good luck.