PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio spectrum pricing
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 08:28
GWYN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sallyanne: whether miniscule or not, this is just another charge on an already struggling industry. It never really ceases to amaze me, how in the UK, so many are just prepared to roll over and accept the diktats of the Government and pay charges / taxes etc. which are just imposed with no real opportunity for negotiation. Even if they are 'miniscule,' which I do not really accept, do you think that they will remain that way once the principle of charging has been established? Can you really believe that this charge would not be seen as just another cash cow and progressively ratcheted up? If you believe that the industry can support even miniscule additional charges, perhaps you might speak to our colleagues in Zoom, Silverjet et al.

Without wishing to reignite the fuel debate, marchin61, there is really no reason either why the industry should pay fuel duty. Many industries have individual tax regimes, indeed there is one highlighted by AMEandPPL above. The agricultural industry pays a reduced rate tax on its fuel, for example. Other transport industries do not pay passenger duties etc., trains do not have to pay a landing fee to every station at which they stop, etc.,etc.

BEagle: excellent as ever. I knew we could count on you! Unfortunately though, the chance of any response to 'consultation' being listened to is minimal unless it comes from the industry as a whole. That is not, of course, to say that we should not respond individually and I respect you for your response. So is there an industry-wide campaign?

Thanks for the responses.