PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young" Ed (Too Tall to Fly) Freeman, Medal of Honor
Old 31st Aug 2008, 06:27
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the following in a message and am sure he will not mind me sharing. Says a lot about the measure of the man, the military guys will understand, especially the Vietnam era.

I was standing around the lobby of the convention hotel chatting with a couple other Aussie guys when a crowd started to gather in the lobby waiting for the opening banquet to start. I noticed a tall older gentleman standing around with his lady -- looked like he was waiting for someone but no one was paying any attention to him. I noticed a light blue ribbon around his neck and a miniature medal. I told my Aussie mates that I thought that might be Ed Freeman. They said, "Who??"

I walked over to him, confirmed that it was a miniature MoH around his neck, and said, "Sir, do they call you 'Too Tall'?" He said, "Yep, that's me." I introduced myself as a fellow 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion vet -- albeit from about 4 years later than his vintage. I then asked, "Sir, is it true that you delayed accepting the invitation to the White House for your medal presentation until after President Bush was inaugurated and Clinton was gone because you didn't want to receive your medal from a draft dodger?" He said, "Yeah, I kept coming up with excuses to put it off. I didn't want that filthy sonofabitch touching my medal with his filthy fingers."