PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2008, 01:28
tbavprof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Targeted Pressure

Yep, I know how this place works. And Z is right, only the targeted pressure on DCA will have any effect. That's why I say that withholding re-cert, rather than decertifying right now is the only way to keep a sustained pressure on them.

TG has already slashed their US routes in the last month (though they still have rights). And they've received their IATA IOSA sign-off, so their code-shares now have an FAA seal of approval, even if they never operate in US airspace again.

DCA, with ICAO's blessing, has pretty much blown off the FAA already as far as technical assistance. But they'll be more than happy to consider it if someone other nation provides the funding so they can line their pockets, especially if it involves free travel abroad.

To investigateudom, the international safety program may have been set up with an intent to provide information to US passengers, but its implementation is less than robust. Like Z says, things like Boeing sales, and the ability to charter military/UN logistics flights outside of the US at discount rates all play into the decisions of what is publicly available. The best you can say is, if it's certified cat 2, watch out. If it's certified cat 1, do your homework. In this case, an FOI request for the audit working papers is probably the only way to get the truth and hold the FAA accountable for its decision.

As far as the memorial, if the airport is cleared of protesters and police by then, I'd be happy to participate in something there.